How to Reset a Lost www.hotmail.com Password, Hotmail, once known as MSN Hotmail and then was rebranded as Windows Live Hotmail, is one of the most popular email services in the world. As we all know, Hotmail was replaced by Outlook.com in 2013. Nonetheless, if you are still using an email address which ends with @hotmail.com,youwill be able to use it on Outlook.com. This is a topic of interest for all those people who have forgotten their password or wish to reset their password.
More often than not, when you try to access your Hotmail account, you realize that you can’t seem to recall your password, no matter how hard you try. And, that must feel really annoying (especially if this happens during work), doesn’t it?
Before we proceed, you must be aware that in the process of recovering your account, you may be asked a few security questions to prove your identity. No need to panic – these are the same questions that you selected as your “security questions” when you set up the account. Also, before you decide to reset the password, ensure that your CAPS LOCK isn’t on where it shouldn’t be.
Let’s see how we can retrieve the Password to our Hotmail account and get back to using our email now, shall we?
How to Recover a Lost Hotmail Password in Outlook.com?
- First, you need to open your hotmail login screen.
- Now, enter your Hotmail email address in the space provided on the screen and hit on the Next
- In the next page, you will be prompted to enter your password, but since you have forgotten it, click on the link (below the “keep me signed in the checkbox) ”I forgot my password,”
- You will now be redirected to a page that will ask “Why can’t you sign in?” Select the option “I forgot my password”
- Then, enter the Email Address of the Hotmail account you want to recover the password for in the space provided and enter the CAPTCHA) to ensure that you are a human and not a robot). Click Next.
- At the time when you set up the email, you must have provided alternative contact details when Hotmail asked you to set a two-step verification for the security of your account. You can choose any of those options (alternate email or phone number) to get a Code from Microsoft. Once you receive the code, enter it in the box that you see on your screen. Click Next.
- In case, it didn’t register any alternate Email Address or contact number or don’t remember/use those details anymore, select I do not have any of these and click Next.
- Next, follow the steps that are shown to access an online account recovery form and fill as many details as you can, for example, other passwords you have used for the account you are trying to recover, have you ever purchased anything from Microsoft using this account before? Etc
- Now, enter an email address that you have access to current and wait to get a code. Once you get it, enter the code on your screen and click Verify to go to the set new password
- Now, enter the new password and click Next. This will bring you back to the sign-in screen. Enter your email and new password to get access to your inbox.
After you have regained access to your Hotmail account, make sure that you visit the Security option and recheck your security settings by clicking on Update Security Information. Congrats! You are now all set to use your account once again.